2019 Saul M. Goldin Memorial Internship
The application deadline has been EXTENDED until Friday, May 3rd 2019!!
In honor of Saul Goldin, this internship program was established to encourage and recognize students in Southern California who have shown an interest in lighting and to raise their awareness for lighting advancement and its application. The Illuminating Engineering Society, Los Angeles Section (IESLA) will partner with California Lighting Technology Center (CLTC) at the University of California at Davis. CLTC is a full-scale research laboratory and was established as an industry, utility, and government partnership to accelerate the development and commercialization of efficient residential and commercial lighting technologies. One student will be awarded to join CLTC for an 8-week summer internship (June-August). Unique among architectural lighting design internships in the country, students will be given an once-in-a-lifetime experience to learn from some of California’s top engineers and research teams. The winner will get an introduction to the latest lighting technology, energy regulations, and sustainable lighting design practice-including daylighting research while developing interpersonal skills through outreach and marketing projects. All these skills will be applicable in future lighting design careers. In addition to providing a portfolio and resume boost, accommodations and monthly stipend will be awarded.
- Biweekly $750 stipend ($3,000 total for 8 week period)
- Room and board
- Meal plan (3x per day)
- Travel voucher $500
- Paid one year membership to IES
- (5) Five free admissions & dinner to local IESLA section meetings
- Two seats at Lumen West, annual awards gala
- Resume and portfolio boost
- Be enrolled in an accredited program at an accredited educational institution.
- Be enrolled in an approved, accredited curricula of architecture (ACSA), interior design (CIDA), architectural engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering (ABET) or theater (NAST).
- Be a full time undergraduate student pursuing lighting studies in the above majors or a graduate student with a specific lighting project as part of an advanced degree program.
- Be studying in the Southern California counties of Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Bernardino or Riverside.
If you feel that your educational institution should be eligible but does not meet the above criteria, please contact the scholarship chairperson – exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Please download a copy of the PDF application above.
- Fill out the application. You can either save a digital copy to your computer, or print the application.
- Use the online application form below to submit your application and accompanying documents (one short essay and one Letter of Recommendation).
- PDF documents are preferred.
- Contact us if you have any questions.