2017 Russell Cole Memorial Lighting Design Competition
You have been contracted by a new retail store being built along the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. The store caters to the young professional crowd who has a relaxed sense of style and wears jeans to work. The interior look is industrial and hip.
The colors range from metal finishes to raw wood and bright orange. See the finishes package for more information. Graduate students should also consider the lighting control system.
Non specified information has been left to your discretion. Where materials are not indicated, finishes can be assumed as necessary. All assumptions must be justified in the narrative. Modification to the architecture is not allowed.
Graduate Student projects must discuss Title 24, but are not required to complete paperwork or schedules. The 2016 Standards can be found at the following links: http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2016standards/nonresidential_manual.html and http://www.energy.ca.gov/2015publications/CEC-400-2015- 033/chapters/chapter_05_indoor_lighting.pdf
Additional information can also be found at:
NOTE: FINALISTS WILL BE CONTACTED BY EMAIL AND TEXT BY MAY 1st. STUDENTS MUST CONFIRM THEY WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND THE 7PM MEETING ON MAY 2nd WITHIN 8 HOURS OF NOTIFICATION OR THE NEXT HIGHEST SCORING STUDENT WILL BE CHOOSEN.
YOU MUST PRESENT AT THE 7PM MEETING TO WIN.
Design Competition location:
Double Tree Hilton
888 Montebello Blvd.
Rosemead, CA 91770
The purposes of the Awards are three fold:
- To honor Russell Cole and preserve the memory and meaning of his attitudes toward lighting, lighting education and assisting everyone in their pursuit of knowledge.
- To encourage education in lighting for college students, under graduate or graduate, who have given evidence of innovative thought and implementation in their studies of light and lighting.
- To provide financial support for students in recognition of their accomplishments.
The Dressing Room, Step in Dress Up – 2017 1st Place Graduate Winner
Nidhi Vishak, University of Southern California
- General Information Page
- 2017 Flyer
- Project Description
- Graduate Student Presentation Criteria
- Undergraduate Student Presentation Criteria
- Title 24 2016 Nonresidential Compliance Manual
- Title 24 Standards & Complete Code by Chapter (Graduates Only)
- Plans and Elevations
- Finishes Package
- DWG Drawings
To be eligible to enter a solution in this competition an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in an accredited program at an accredited educational institution.
- Be enrolled in an approved, accredited curricula of architecture (ACSA), interior design (CIDA), architectural engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering (ABET) or theater (NAST).
- Be a full time undergraduate student pursuing lighting studies in the above majors or a graduate student with a specific lighting project as part of an advanced degree program.
- Be studying in the Southern California counties of Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino or Riverside.
If you feel that your educational institution should be eligible but does not meet the above criteria, please contact the scholarship chairperson – exceptions will be considered on a case by case basis.
A Tribute to Russell Cole
Cole Lighting (C.W. Cole and Company) has been in business since 1918 and has been building lighting fixtures since 1923. Cole Lighting has been a continuous supporter of all the programs and events that the Los Angeles section has held. Because of that continued support, Mr. Cole’s dedication to the lighting industry, and his longevity as a member of the IES, the Los Angeles Section Student Lighting Design Competition Award is named in his honor.